Sunday, February 13, 2011

Amazing Grace Reflections

Throughout reading  Amazing Grace by Jonathan Kozol I couldn’t help but draw parallels from the people he wrote about and myself. Although I didn’t grow up in a place anywhere near to how bad as Mott Haven, I did experience a childhood dipped in drugs. My parent’s were heroin addicts while I was growing up and I lived with them and my great grandparents. They would sell my video games, movies, cds, anything that could give them a couple of bucks in order to get their fix. However, compared to the text my life was a cake walk. I never had to physically see my parent’s shooting up, although it was obvious enough to me at a young age that they were unlike my friend’s parents, and that something was wrong.
Like the children of Mott Haven, I experienced a dismal depression, and grew up too fast. I was able to hold onto my blissful ignorance longer than children such as Cliffie though because my town was of a middle class stature. I greatly feel that the area of which you grow up in really impacts your life and the person you are. In harder areas, such as the Bronx and Mott Haven, children cannot escape the darkness that surrounds them. Its in their play grounds, on the streets, and at every corner. At least I had the chance to get away and go over a friend’s house or walk around my neighborhood without the constant reminder of how bad my home life was.
This piece just goes to show that people really adapt to their surroundings. The fact that young Cliffie was able to walk around the slums of his city and still seem chipper is inspiring; especiually considering ho w many childern in his area as well as the United states experiences depression. But the fact that his childhood is tainted by the world around him is utterly depressing. I can’t help but wonder where young Cliffie is today and how his life as progressed.
Overall, I can’t help but wonder how the government could let a section of the country get as bad as this. Isn’t there any regulations or laws against prostitution in these areas? Shouldn’t all the drug dealers be arrested? Its not like they’re in hiding, they most likely have drugs on them and could easily be put away for dealing. Who decided it was ok to abandon poverty stricken areas and deem them as wastelands. Is there even a way to help fix up these disease and poverty stricken areas?

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you on how nobody has put an end to the prostitution and the drug dealers. How can you let a place become so terrible to live in? This just shows you that the government won't do anything about it and therefore it is going to become worse and worse. It's sad to see children who have parents that are addicts and they have to grow up seeing everything that goes on. Children shouldn't have to go through that and parents shouldn't have to put their children through that because they are not setting a good example for their kids. Therefore it is important for kids to try and escape to a friends house or a close relatives house because people easily adapt to their environments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m sorry that you (and so many other kids in America) have had experiences that even come close to the life that Cliffie lived. You put it so well when you write, “Who decided it was ok to abandon poverty stricken areas and deem them as wastelands.” Who did decide that this was OK? I think this is an area where we as teachers can have an impact. We don’t have to accept that the status quo is just fine, and even if we can’t fix everything, teachers can have a big impact. For example, by treating every kid, every day like they are college material I think more kids will develop the notion that college is a non-negotiable option. Where I went to school it was simply everyone should graduate, by talking about “When you graduate high school…” or “In college you will…” these outcomes will become closer to realities.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely agree that the neighborhood that you grow up in greatly effects your own life. I really like how you related your life to the article. Also, I agree that the laws for certain things in our government are not at all strict enough because people are still getting away with "illegal" things, when they could easily be caught.

    ReplyDelete