Friday, March 18, 2011

Service Learning Reflection

Throughout reading “In the Service of what?” by Joseph Kahne and Joel Westheimer I constantly kept my own given service learning project, trying to figure out what kind of contribution I was making and what kind of project it was. For me, this article gave words to the dread I felt about service learning in the past. In my sophomore year of high school, I had to do a service learning project where my assigned group and I, along with some help from the organization Save the Bay, cleaned up the shoreline underneath the Mt. Hope Bridge. Like in the article, I did have a good feeling afterwards, but overall I felt the project was a bust because it was only a “band aid” because the shore was still going to get dirty once more. We didn’t do anything to educate the community about how harmful littering is to the environment. I found the whole process painful and annoying. This would be an example of a charity like project.
The VIPS service learning I find much more meaningful. Maybe its because I’m older or it directly affects my interests and future. I can relate to the students who traveled to lower class school to perform for them. Before my service learning project I was freaking out. Being placed in a first grade ESL class I was afraid no one was going to speak English. I was trying to put a face to my anxieties and all I could picture was a room full of kids staring up at the board confused and whispering to each other in Spanish. I know that all may sound ignorant, and I agree it is, but my views changed completely after my first day. I feel as though I have a better grasp on children of color and even some of their backgrounds.
Right now, I, and pretty much all of you, are taking this service learning in both a giving and caring ways. Of course we are all physically hands on with the kids, interacting with them, teaching with them, and aiding them with their studies. We even help the teachers. But we all also helping ourselves by experiencing what its like in school where more than fifty percent of the students come from poverty stricken homes and/ or are a minority. I never thought I’d teach in such a school because my school experience wasn’t anything like that. I broadened my vision, and got comfortable with other people who didn’t have the same past as me. They aren’t ESL kids to me, their just my students.
So I guess the question is how is the balance for you? Is this more of a charity project to you or is it intrinsic as well? Do you feel you’ve made a lasting impression or really made a difference or are you simply doing busy work? What are you going to keep from this experience when you leave the classroom for the last time? 

6 comments:

  1. Totally loved your blog...and the picture fits perfectly! I hope you don't mind that I used it for my extended comment blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol. Very nice picture.
    I agree, there's something more to this than charity. It's definitely an experience that I'm going to keep with me for a while. I think it's that I'm trying to make a difference for them, to make them see that they can succeed and do well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent post, Heather. You raise really important issues AND show that you fully understand what Kahne and Westheimer are getting at here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We're at the same school, and I'm in an ESL class too so I can totally relate to what you said about thinking the kids were just going to be confused and whispering to each other in Spanish. I felt the same way at first! I would like to think that I am making some change, but what I saw at the school this week was so disturbing a lot of the time I feel like what I'm doing is like trying to clean a flooded basement with a Dixie cup. Does anyone else feel like this?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I completely agree with the idea that VIPS has been more meaningful than other service learning projects I have done. I believe I am trying to make a change in the classroom but I know other projects I have done have not been as affective for long term fixing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Marisa VIPS has definitely been the most influential service learning project that i have done because i can truly see the improvement that the students area making. It's a great feeling that helping kids at such a young age can change their lives for the better. Helping them catch up or get ahead in school can play a huge role in life and can determine if they go to college or not if if they have a good life or not. VIPS is something that i really have enjoyed doing eventhough i have to wake up early to do it.

    ReplyDelete